Tomato plant ID + Monarch caterpillar?

cammunizmDecember 5, 2011

This is the only fruiting tomato plant I've got for Fall harvest it seems, though the brandywines continue to flower. Incidentally, this Tomato plant(s) is a product of kitchen compost I laid down a few months ago.

Was wondering what type of tomato it might be. It's a small bushy type with what looks like grape-shaped tomatos. (Grape or Roma maybe?)

Also, I've got several of these guys on my Butterfly weed, which is why I assumed it's Monarch. Hooray!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkin_gw

I've grown grape tomatoes from seed from ones I've bought so it's possible that is what it is. They were the sweetest I've ever had. And that looks like a monarch cat to me. :o)

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 6:39AM
echobelly

I'm on my way to the garden center for more Milkweed. Mine are covered with monarch cats and all that's left are the stems.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 9:15AM
cammunizm

I grew about 4 from seeds I captured off the mother plant. They aren't too big yet though. Was curious if milkweed should be cut back in the winter?

oh and scratch that. I just noticed I have mini-pumpkin sized brandywine tomatoes growing. Let's hope I can hold off the frost.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 5:01PM
saldut

The milkweed will set some seed-pods and the seeds are very light and float away, I gather the pods when they turn brown-ish to save the seeds, but they will 'naturalize' if you let them and come up all over the place... I trim back the stalks when they get real leggy, after they have set the seed-pods they do that, and then they come back and grow some more... the trick is to always have a good 'stand' of milkweed so you provide a constant supply for the butterflies, lots of them like milkweed, also Dill, also Passion-flower, also Fennel..you can Google 'Florida Butterflies' and get an idea what different types like... set aside an area where all this stuff is available, and they will come ! sally

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Tomato advice
First year growing tomatoes in Jax area. My question...
bea
Lubbers!!!
I can't believe it, I've got lubbers hatching today....
katkin_gw
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Can Silver Buttontwood be used as espalier in a Belgium Fence design
Dear Florida Experts, I just pulled out 60 feet of...
caribbeancupcake
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Sponsored Products
Vondom | Moma Medium Table Matte Finish
YLiving.com
Handcrafted Wooden Carved Urn Table Lamp With Bell Shade
ParrotUncle
Potted Acorus Grass with White Vase
Overstock.com
Canterbury Arbor - 72" Opening
Fifthroom.com
Fruit Loop by Alessi
$293.00 | Lumens