Resident Owls

sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)December 5, 2012

For some reason soon after I moved into this house in Pembroke Pines, two Burrowing Owls decided to make my front yard their new home. Now lets see if I can remember how to upload a video or picture. lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wallisadi

nice picture, i know how hard it is to get them to stop and smile....:) we have the big owls here, not sure of their name. chased an appiliated woodpecker around the tree for an hour trying to get a good pic....owls will keep the unwanted critters away......m

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:47PM
nessz79_10a

Aw, that's great!

We have a large owl near our house, sometimes, as well. I think a Great Horned Owl? There's something magical about hearing him "hoot" at night.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 6:00PM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

No owls where, but we have a breeding pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks in our neighborhood and we're close enough to the Ocklawaha River that I get to see Bald Eagles wheeling in the sky from time to time. If we had an owl move into the area as well, you all might be able to hear me squealing in joy regardless of where you are.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 7:02PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

That is SO COOL! Looks like they are fairly close to the road, here's hoping for a good outcome.

Tom

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 7:03PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I have owls in my Sycamore trees - soothing to hear in the evening. Your Owls are beautiful!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 7:47PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Very cool. I was so busy admiring my new hibiscus blooms this morning I didn't notice a hawk had landed nearby to grab something off my lawn. Always a treat to be able to share your yard with the critters.

Darren

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:27PM
zackey(GA 8b)

Once in a great while I hear a who-who-whooo at night here. We saw the burrowing owls in Punta Gorda a few years ago. Always have hawks here.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:04PM
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

That is so neat to have a pair of owls make your front yard their home! I know that we have a pair of barred owls in my neighborhood, I think they live in the woods behind my house. It is so wild to listen to them at night when they really get vocal. They sound like a pair of demented monkeys when they are calling back and forth to each other! So far I haven't actually seen the owls although my neighbors have.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:12AM
cavamarie(z8b/9a FL)

Beautiful...lucky you!

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 2:40PM
sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)

They are close to the road but luckily it isn't a busy road. I look out there every morning and they are standing guard over their hole. I wonder if they have eggs in there. Many times just one is guarding the whole and I am guessing the other may be sitting on eggs. They are so cute! If you get to close they do this funny little hop up and down.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 3:53PM

Just a follow up. Apparently the owls have taken a liking to my Christmas wreath so I have to leave it on my front door. Sometimes there is one on there and sometimes both owls are on it. We go to the store, come home and they are on the wreath again. So cute!

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 10:05PM
chloe92us(10A Sarasota area)

That is AWESOME! Where in Florida are you.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 10:30PM
dirtyshoes

I love it! You're so lucky.

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 7:33AM

I am in Pembroke Pines, real close to Hollywood. I wonder if we are going to see babies sometime soon...?

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
crinum flowers
This started blooming just before our expected freeze....
marcia_m
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™