Do you wash the roots when repotting?

generator_00October 18, 2009

Hello, I want to repot a ds-70 because the soil it's in just doesn't seem to drain well and is hard to saturate. I would like to soak the roots for a while and then wash off all the soil and start over with orchid mix and perlite. What are your feeling on doing this? Will it hurt the plants to wash off the roots? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

I don't think it will as long as you're gentle about it. Some plants can take a lot of root disturbance, but Hoyas have a reputation for being less forgiving. But when it comes to crummy soil, I would take the chance. I'd figure the bad soil will probably eventually lead to the demise of the plant anyway, so you might as well give it a fighting chance. Most, I've found, really aren't as delicate as the books would have you believe.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 6:43AM
maidinmontana

Hi Generator,

If it's an EA (exotic Angel) plant, good luck trying to get the bad soil off. I tried it with a dischidia I got and the soil wouln't budge.

I also have an EA DS-70 that is in bad soil. I just soaked it and tried to get as much of the bad soil off as I could, then put it in a slightly larger pot, in hopes the roots would find their way to the better potting mix. That was about 4 months ago, and it seems to be doing fine now, growing better and much better color in the leaves. So, hopefully the change served it well.

Hope this helps,

Debi

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 10:24AM
wrynsmom(5)

Getting rid of EA soil is like trying to remove tar . . . IMPOSSIBLE!! That stuff is nasty!

Carolyn

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 10:32AM
generator_00

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll try it and see what happens.

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™