New hostas arriving tomorrow or Wed.--I'm sick & can't plant

esther_bMay 6, 2013

I am currently "cultivating" a 100+ degree fever with a rotten cold. Couldn't go to work today. Just got a message from Made in the Shade that UPS has transferred transport of my 5 new small hostas to USPS. They could arrive tomorrow or Wednesday, bare roots. I have about two or three 5" clay pots in the house, and some smaller ones. I also have 5 plastic quart deli containers that I could poke holes in the bottom of. Could the hostas live in the deli containers with potting soil, set out in my garden, until I regain the strength necessary to turn over the soil and make the other necessary preps on the Neighbor's Plot? That might not be until the Sunday after next.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gesila(MI Z5)

I had a Haylcon sit on the kitchen counter wrapped in the wet paper towel and plastic wrap it was shipped in for more than 2 weeks once. It survived!

Last year we had 75 hostas in the living room until the danger of last frost passed. I believe that was about a month.

Your hostas will do fine sitting in temporary containers until you plant them in the ground. Remember to water them though.

Gesila

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_in_colorado

What Gesila said: They'll be fine, existing patiently, until you get over what you are dealing with. Hope you feel better soon!

Don B.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™