Roots coming out of the top of the pot. . .

maidinmontana(Zone 5 Billings MT)October 24, 2009

I noticed today while watering my hoyas, the three bigger (6 1/2" pot) ones I got from the unmentionable, have quite a few roots showing on top of the soil. I haven't re-potted them, they are still in the soil/pot they came in.

How should I handle this? Just top it off and wait til spring to re-pot? Go ahead and re-pot now? Or just ignore it, it's normal?

There are also some of the smaller ones from Joni and Gardino's that have roots coming out of the bottom. These are in 3" pots. What should I do about these?

Maid~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

As long as the plants don't dry out too fast they should be fine. I have several plants that are probably a little under potted and the surface of their potting mix is almost all roots. The plants grow well as long as they are not allowed to dry out.
If your plants that are in small pots are actively growing potting them up may be just what they need. Some plants will just keep on growing after potting up while others appear to stop and focus on root growth for a while.

Mike

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 12:56AM
denise_gw(5)

I'd move them up to a bigger pot myself. I automatically repot anything I get anyway (except those hugely full EA plants that are next to impossible to repot) because I want them in my own mix, because I like to examine the roots for any problems, and because usually they ARE potbound and I prefer to give mine more room. Though, as Mike says, sometimes they go semi-dormant when you repot, it almost always results in super vigorous growth once they're settled in. I sometimes let mine get potbound due to timing (prefer not to repot when blooming) or I'm in a busy time of my year when I don't have a lot of extra time, but I try never to let them stay potbound for too long.

I vote for repotting.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 10:25AM
gabro14

I personally would top it off with your soil mix.

Gabi

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
photo posting
Can anyone tell me how to post photos on this forum?...
shelley7950
Hoya mac "nesbit river"
Even though is only one flower i am excited to see...
sweethearth2015
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
My frozen hoya
Last week our temps dropped down below 30 degrees and...
ima_digger
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
Sponsored Products
Nuts for Dad Father's Day Gift Basket - 7017
$68.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Burgundy and Gold 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Bella Grey and Ivory Rectangular: 4 Ft. x 6 Ft. Rug
$144.95 | Bellacor
WMF Function 4 Cookware 10 Piece Set - 0788109990
$915.00 | Hayneedle
12 x 12-inch Red Wood Flat Pebble Mesh Tile (Pack of 5)
Overstock.com
Starfish Trivet
$12.99 | zulily
Bel Air Lighting Chandeliers 3-Light Multi Color Tea Cups Chandelier KDL-210
$78.00 | Home Depot
Safavieh Handmade Mahal Sage/ Ivory Wool Runner (2'3 x 12')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™