Dominate male Hummingbird

paf1968August 7, 2008

There is one male ruby throated hummingbird in my yard that evedently thinks that the feeders all belong to him. He chases all the other hummingbirds away as soon as they come near the feeders. He sits in a tree close by and waits for them to fly in and as soon as they do, he chases them off. He will fly in every so often to see if there are any others around on the back side of the feeder and if not, he returns to his lookout perch. I thought I was going to have a lot of hummingbirds at my feeder this summer but now I only have one.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what might be done. This is my first year to have feeders and don't know if this is a common thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctnchpr

Yes, it's all too common. Try adding more feeders around your yard, and, if possible, out of direct sight of each other.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 12:26PM
nkrz

Oh yes, it happens often. I have five different feeders, and in the beginning when they first start showing up, there is always one bully, however, when the rest start showing up, there are so many that the bully gives up. For the past two years, I have had at least 20 hummers, and they keep coming back. I love to hear them chirp at each other.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 4:48PM
bdriver71(z6pa)

For 3 years I had King Tut who owned my back feeder. He would sit on my trellis guarding "his" feeder from dawn to dusk. Even in nasty storms. Sadly he did not return this year. This year I have only seen 1 male at a time and he is very passive. Got some beautiful babies. I added 2 feeders
in my front yard because of King Tut. He did his best to guard them all, but since he couldn't see them from his trellis, the others had time to drink up before he might catch them. I have several hummers, but I really miss his antics.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 9:37PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Pretty common, feisty little devil, isn't he?

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 2:26PM
nikonhead

I have one that is doing the same thing at my house. There was just him at first then another and now another one. He is geting tired of triying to defend against them and there is some sharing going on but only on a limited basis.
I was hoping that it would get better with time. Maybe it will. I have added another feeder and lots of plants but he does a pretty good job of patroling the yard.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Garden Web Refugees??
I was just wondering about the low activity level,...
mbrowne
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™