Newfound admiration for Wide Brim

hostahostaMay 24, 2014

Wide Brim was one of the first hosta I planted. Bought at a big box store in 2008 as I was creating the bed on the east side of my house. These three, shown in 2008, were planted together and have never been moved. Over the years I have pretty much ignored them. They grew, had one tough year where they got toasted from generator exhaust, but never impressed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostahosta

Fast forward 6 years, and wow. They are impressing me now. I know it is a common one, but they have really grown into their own. Margins have widened, corrugation developed, they now look like mature specimens.

Just had to share this with you all!

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:21PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Wide Brim is a great hosta. I have ten of them,and all of them came from Lowes,in bags. Still look good,and look at my post,'the beat goes on',and you'll see one of mine. Phil

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:24PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Here's one of my Wide Brims,and Golden Sunburst,which used to be a Frances Williams. It just 'morphed' from a regular FW,into this plant. It tends to burn,however,just like the edge of an FW. Phil

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:42PM
Gesila(MI Z5)

Wide Brim is the true story of the ugly duckling turning into a swan.

HH, yours are amazing. I love the color yours have! And Phil, I love how your Wide Brim is reaching up for the light!

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:50PM
hostahosta

Interesting sport of FW. Just looked up GS in the hosta library. The way my FW are burning right now, I'd like them to sport! I did notice your WB in your GT ring.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:52PM
Jon

Second year Wide Brim in my oriental niche which last year was framed with 3 really nice De Groots Spires that ended up as sticks which are growing little green patches and look like they are recovering from The Attack of the Killer Deer.

Jon

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 8:31AM
Babka NorCal 9b

Wide Brim has a special place in my heart. Before I had a digital camera, I was so taken with Wide Brim, that I cut a leaf off and put it in my copy machine to have a life-size leaf to hold in my hand during Winter.

-Babka

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:25PM
josephines123 z5 ON Canada

Wide Brim is a great hosta and these pics prove it.

Babka, aw, you sure love your hosta. Your comment hit home I'm sure with more than just me. :-)

Last year my daughter's girlfriend Trisha gave her a piece of a hosta to give to me. It had three leaves through which I tried to get an iD. It came up with 5 eyes this year so hopefully, when it is finished unfurling we can try again.

I'd be a happy camper if it turned out to be Wide Brim! :-)

Jo

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
donrawson
Not sure this has been posted in awhile Papou's Gardens
He was gone before I joined the site, but he had some...
leafwatcher
what do you plant in
This is my newest planted my husband buffed and painted...
almosthooked
hostanista
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™