Christmas Help! Herb infused vinegar, safe without BWB, etc?

aeleva(USDA-9 CA)December 24, 2012

I found this recipe from whole foods online: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/herb-infused-vinegar

I haven't pickled anything before and whole foods seemed like a reputable source, so I used 5% acidity red wine vinegar and steeped thyme and orange zest for several days in a vessel that had gone through the high temp sanitize and heated dry cycle in my dishwasher.

After steeping, I poured this mixture with a new sprig of fresh thyme (washed but allowed to dry for a few hours first) and one clove of garlic into bottles that I put through the same dishwasher cycle with additional heated dry at 150 F in my oven until all water droplets were gone.

After reading some stuff about garlic in oil, and proper pickling techniques, I've gotten concerned that this might not be safe to eat because I didn't explicitly boil stuff before and after like in normal canning (which I have never done), but maybe that's no necessary because of the vinegar? The whole foods recipe didn't say anything about that. I was going to give these as gifts for Christmas -- are these safe??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malna

Your vinegar is fine and would make a wonderful gift. Sorry if I answered too late.

Happy Christmas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flavored Vinegars and Oils-Colorado State Extension

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 11:48AM
pqtex

What a great fact sheet! Thanks, Malna. I have been infusing goldenrod in oil for a muscle rub (supposed to be beneficial for reducing muscle spasms), but now I have concerns. It was never intended for anything except external use, but I know botulism doesn't have to be ingested to be dangerous.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 1:25PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Here's another document from Oregon State which I have found helpful. I like their sugar cube test for flavor.

Be aware that sanitize is not the same as sterilize and that infused vinegars can turn cloudy or develop molds, so sterilization is really a better way to go.

For convenience, I like to follow Carol Costenbader's advice and infuse the vinegar in a wide-mouth jar then filter and decant into any decorative bottle I'm using.

If I'm putting a fresh sprig or two of the signature herb into the bottle, I blanch it to reduce the likelihood of any impurities entering the vinegar.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State Flavored Vinegars

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:26PM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

I realize that the original thread concerned gifts, which have probably long been given by now. I make a lot of herbed vins to play with, and the Herb Guild I'm part of sells them for the Denver Botanic Gardens.

Putting sprigs of most fresh herbs in the final product will only look pretty for a short time, and can lead to possible mold issues once the herb is above the level of vinegar in the bottle. Strong woody herbs like rosemary, or things such as dried chilis will hold up, but putting a sprig of a tender leaf such as thyme or basil in the vinegar won't last long. The acidity will pretty much turn it pretty ugly pretty fast, and it can start to add a bitter flavor. I generally recommend storing vins without decorative kicks--they're so pretty anyway!

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Pressure canning jam?
Hi all -- Ok, I have to admit that I just hate BWB...
fearlessem
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
habanero gold question?
All the directions for habanero gold jelly call for...
jadeite
Katie's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
I made her soup the other day and I am here to tell...
gardnpondr
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Sponsored Products
Jul Mugs - Set of 4
$18.99 | Dot & Bo
Pre-lit Tinsel Quick Light Copper Slim Artificial Christmas Tree
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Seiko Dacca Clock - QXW431BLH
$213.99 | Hayneedle
Hung with Care Holiday Stocking in Red & White - Set of 2
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Boxwood Ball in Round Basket Christmas Decor
$349.00 | FRONTGATE