recipe fails-

girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)December 4, 2010

My latest waste of harvest was 10 large Hachiya persimmons. I was using the strained pulp to make persimmon jam from a recipe book. 4 cups of pulp, 1/4 c lemon juice, 6 cups sugar, 1 box pectin. Very standard.

What nobody mentioned, either on the internet or in the recipe book, is that when you boil persimmon pulp it immediately goes bitter and astringent. As in, totally inedible. But it was a very pretty orange and it set nicely! So now I have 7 half pint jars to give to people whom I do not wish to impress with my canning skills.

Let's share our recipe disasters so we can all avoid these blunders.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jill2761(Southeast Texas)

Was the failure related to the boiling, or did you pick them before the first frost? Do you know if they were sweet before you processed them?

I've never eaten persimmons, but I know that you have to wait for the first frost to pick/eat them because they will be bitter or astringent. The cold is what sweetens them. We have plans to plant persimmon in the orchard we are planning. Sorry yours didn't turn out.

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 11:50AM
roses_more_roses(Z9 N CA)

I had the same 'Failure' with Hachiya persimmons. The persimmons I used were at the mushy stage, and very sweet. After I attempted making the jam, I was told that Hachiya persimmons were unsuitable for making jam. I don't know if that is true, since I still see many recipes. All I can tell you is that mine was not fit to eat.

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 4:11PM
girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)

Yes Jil, I grew up eating persimmons and I made sure they were ripe before I processed the pulp. But this was my first attempt at making jam from them, and there were a few internet recipes that were almost identical. None of them warned me about Hachiyas going astringent if you boil them.

Has anybody else made persimmon jam successfully, and if so, what type of persimmons did you use?

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 7:32PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Did your pulp include the skins or had you peeled them? The peel is the primary source of the tannin than makes it bitter.

But most of the persimmon jam recipes I have seen call for freezing it, not canning, and that is how we make it with our wild persimmons.

Dave

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 10:16AM
girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)

They were peeled. Jam with peels, ewwwwww!

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 10:30AM
nostalgicgranny

I'm pretty sure it is the seeds that make it bitter - at least it is that way with wine.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 5:58AM
More Discussions
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™