root mealies...

klyde(8)November 26, 2010

Hi all

I have a pest question. I am fairly certain one of my hoyas has root mealies. I have heard that BATS is good for this although not available in Canada. I haven't attempted to order it from eBay as I don't feel like losing 50 bucks if it gets taken at the border. So here's my question: would diatomaceous earth work if watered into the 'soil'? I tried a wee bit a while back just to see if there would be any detrimental effects to the plant. Nothing happened, but then I didn't use very much. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Because mealy bugs have that waxy coating they are most likely not affected by diotamaceous earth. DE does not hurt plants, I actually add diatomite to my potting mixes instead of perlite.
I would recommend using a systemic insecticide. I lost over half my Stapeliad collection to root mealies and after trying every other control method I managed to save some plants when I broke down and got some Bayer Advance systemic. I tried neem drenches, soapy water drenches, insecticidal soap etc but none of them worked at all.

Mike

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 12:44AM
klyde(8)

I know we've had this conversation...guess I'll have to give it a try with the BATS. Maybe it will make its way through. The little %$#@ers are on Mathilde, which I dearly love. Likely on others as well. I loathe mealybugs. Thanks for the help with my other query btw. (pity about the Neem - it's being touted as the cure-all for so much, but not apparently, root mealies)

Kelly in Victoria

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 6:46PM
mdahms1979

Kelly there is one thing you can try if it's only a couple of plants that has a good chance of working. Take a sink or bucket and fill with warm soapy water, completly immerse the pot and potting mix plus the plant if it fits and leave sit for a couple of hours. The soapy water will decrease the surface tension of the water which will not allow air bubble to stick to the mealies and they will drown. I could not use this method when I had the problem with root mealies because my Stapeliads were dormant/dry and they would have rotted. Dunking a Hoya for a few hours would not hurt it a bit as long as it drys out afterwards. I think this would be best done when the plant is dryish because the potting mix is going to end up very wet for a few days.

Good luck.

Mike

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 8:06PM
klyde(8)

Will do. I'll use liquid Ivory. Condolences on your stapeliads...

Thanks M

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
My Hoya onychoides
Hey all, my Hoya onychoides finally bloomed for the...
rennfl
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
Krimson princess question
I've had this hoya for about 6 months or so. Lately...
loveofbostons
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™