Blueberry Lavender Compote?

gator_9aDecember 18, 2012

I was hoping to make the following recipe for people for Christmas, and, because I have to travel, it would be preferable if I could can it rather than packing it on ice for the 12+ hour trip. I tried to find a similar recipe from an approved source, but couldn't find anything in the same vein.

The recipe (included below) says that it can be processed in BWB for 15 minutes, and, from what I can tell, that should be fine: the only ingredients that aren't acidic are sugar and dried lavender, and, given other posts on this forum, sugar or dried herbs shouldn't affect Ph.

1 pound frozen blueberries
1 teaspoon dried lavender, chopped
2/3 cup natural cane sugar
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
2/3 cup red wine

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook until mixture starts to boil. Let boil, stirring once or twice, for 2 minutes, and then reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking, gradually reducing heat and stirring more frequently, cook at medium heat and gradually turn to medium-low, stirring more frequently and mashing fruit slightly, until mixture reaches a syrupy consistency, about 30 minutes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

There's no reason not to can it. There are no issues.

Alternatively you could travel with it securely jarred up and not canned, just refrigerated upon arrival. With the sugar and acid it's not susceptible to spoilage, especially short-term.

Carol

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_9a

Thanks, Carol! You continue to be a life-saver for me!

This recipe is delicious if anyone else would like to try it -- it's great to put on pancakes, ice cream, biscuits, etc.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™