Downy Woodpeckers on feeder

hosta_house(IL 6)August 8, 2010

I have record numbers of Hummingbirds this year, but in the past few years I have been adding plants like: Indian Pink, Monarda, Phlox, Columbine, etc. This spring I put in a Cottage Garden walk and added: Crocosmia, Cardinal Flower, Penstemon, Hollyhocks, Zinnia, Cannas, etc. and I have to say I think they enjoy the Zinnias the most, anyway I always put up a large feeder outside my Living Room window and a small feeder outside my Kitchen window on the awning and found myself filling the small feeder 2 or 3 times a day and discovered that I have a pair of Downy Woodpeckers feeding on it, I didn't know they did this. The Hummingbirds are still territorial and fan out their tail feathers and several buzz in and out but the Woodpeckers act as though they are unconcerned. Below is a shot of the female.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctnchpr

Great pics!! I took a stroll thru your yard pics - absolutely beautiful!! You've been busy. Love the Wave petunia/Creeping Jenny combo; the Elephant ears w/red petunias?; the Caladiums/ferns; and the Cottage walk. I've always wanted a path like that here in the woods, but the Copperheads won't let me. What variety is the Canna?

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 1:42AM
More Discussions
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™