HVX from municipal compost?

jan_on zone 5bMay 4, 2012

Yard waste is picked up by the municipality, composted, and sold/given back to gardeners. Assuming that a gardener might dispose of infected leaves/scapes/plants in yard waste rather than in the garbage (that's a Canadianism for 'trash'!), is it reasonable to think there is a possibility of acquiring HVX that way? (Somewhere I read advice to not use municipal compost since dear knows what is in there, but lots of people do.)

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frostynyc(7)

I dare say "it depends". Imagine, HVX probably only reproduces while inside of a living hosta, so the amount of HVX in the compost would be limited to the amount of actual diseased hosta material that was incorporated into the compost. I doubt that even .01% of municipal mulch is comprised of decomposed hostas, let alone diseased hostas.

Then, there's a matter of the temperature that the compost reached while decomposing. I'm not sure how hot the pile gets, or what temperature is needed to kill HVX, but it's something else to consider.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:49PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

....and you still need sap to sap transfer. You can create scenarios all day to worry about. Just use good procedures about cutting, digging, and dividing hostas and you will be OK.

Paul

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 5:24PM
ctopher_mi

Actually, HVX is still present even in dead tissue, but then has to transmit to an actively growing plant. If you are cutting into dead leaves, even in the middle of winter for example, you still get HVX on your tools. There just aren't any actively growing plants around to transmit it to...

As for municipal compost, it typically gets a lot hotter than your backyard compost pile, so that will help to kill some of the virus. And as mentioned, the amount of dead hostas within all of that yard waste has to be extremely low, leading to an even lower possibility for transmission.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 6:57PM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

I have always wondered/worried about business's that take returned pots, that seems like a possible problem unless they are cleaned ? ...

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Need Expertise from Utah Hosta Growers
I've been following this forum for several years and...
kay21_utahzone5a
First Victim
Had put a few precautionary pellets about a while ago...
frugaljon z8 UK
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
HOSTAS FOR UNDER TREE IN LOUISIANA (B.R.)
This will be my first year planting hostas so you could...
bcurry1
Tri State Hosta Sale
Tri State Hosta Society had a wonderful Sale today...
mbug_gw
Sponsored Products
David Trubridge Design | Reed Floor Lamp
YLiving.com
Empress Hydronic Heated Towel Warmer Luxury Chrome Bathroom Radiator
Hudson Reed
King Lace Sham
$300.00 | Horchow
Home Decorators Runner: Hypnotic Terra 2' 6" x 14'
Home Depot
Moooi | Elements 002
YLighting