Sauerkraut with cider or apple juice?

celticgarden(z6b CT)December 18, 2009

I saw a youtube video of a woman who made saurkraut using cider (or apple juice) as a liquid. I don't want alcoholic kraut but, using a jar with an airlock I made kraut then left it sitting with the airlock. The top layer of juice evaporated. Kraut is still good (well, I tossed the dried up layer). I know that if I add a quantity (say 5%) of apple juice I might start fermentation but it's in the fridge now....anyone ever use apple juice/cider as part or all of the liquid for fermenting kraut?

This is my first time making kraut. I tasted it last night and it tasted good but salty. I used purple cabbage, shredded carrot and green apple. The very salty-ness of it could mean that alcohol yeast couldn't make it....maybe the lactic bacteria would like the juice?

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

anyone ever use apple juice/cider as part or all of the liquid for fermenting kraut

Since no added liquid is needed for fermenting kraut - the cabbage makes its own liquid in the process - I never use either, not even water.

Come time to jar and process (can) if you don't have enough liquid you can just make up extra brine (boiled and cooled brine is 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt per quart of water). I suppose you could use either cider or hot apple juice at that time instead of the brine.

But if used during fermentation I'd think the extra sugar they contain could cause problems with excess bacterial growth. JMO

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Making Kraut

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™