Hoya thompsonii

denise_gwNovember 17, 2013

I got mine as a cutting in 2009. It has FINALLY bloomed for me! I've always loved the leaves on this one - super fuzzy and silver flecked (this photo doesn't do it justice)...

I found it budding up around the first of October...

And a few days later, they opened...

Mine don't have the hint of blush that Cpawl's did, but still pretty. And I love the fragrance - like lilacs!

Denise in Omaha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teisa(6)

Very pretty Denise! Ive never seen this one in bloom, so thanks for sharing.!!

After waiting all those years, its bloom makes it worth it! Congratulations.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 11:27PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Congrats Denise!! Yours is doing much better than mine, I too love the fuzzy leaves but I'm still waiting for blooms. I got mine in 2010 and hoping next Spring is the magic year?

Beautiful blooms!

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 12:24PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Very cool! Nice white flowers!

Josh

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 8:05PM
suetran1(7NC)

Congrats Denise!!
I also just had flower this year, got the cutting 3,4 years ago.
This is the most strongest fragrance, I'd never smell like it.
Thompsonii is a almost perfect plant for me: small, strong ,compact, slow growing, love sun, fragrance, big flower size about 1/2".
Absolutely it is my favorite plant, (thanks you GG.)
sue

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 8:50AM
patrick51(5)

Congratulations, Denise! Your blooms look awesome! I wish mine would bloom. Typically this one blooms with pinkish blooms...do you keep yours in a warm place? I keep mine in a cool room...it does fine, but hasn't bloomed yet. Fondly, Patrick

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 8:41AM
denise_gw

Hi Patrick,

I have to admit I'm a little less than enthused by white flowers. I had no idea they were supposed to be pink. I grow mine in my sunroom which does stay relatively warm. Does that make a difference in flower color, or were you asking more in reference about getting it to flower? Just curious...

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 8:47PM
patrick51(5)

Hi Denise...no questions about blooming, mine will bloom when it's larger. I think your H. thomsonii is kept too warm...but, I love white blooms! They'd be more pink given cooler temperatures..and the pink varies a lot..from deep pink to a pink blush. I do keep mine at 58 degrees...still hoping for blooms. Let us know how long yours remains in bloom. Enjoy! Fondly, Patrick

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 1:36PM
cpawl(8)

Denise nice growing,I like white flowers.Maybe its the time of year that they bloom or the clone.I have a couple different clones but only the has flowered for me.
My hoya bloomed in the spring after I had moved it out to the greenhouse which got very warm in the day but did cool down in the night.Last winter it grew a ton of peduncles but only bloomed after the move.The same happened with Serpens All winter it grew peduncles but only bloomed after been put out in the greenhouse,but I did notice that when it became very hot during the day it did cause some buds to abort.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:24PM
denise_gw

Cpawl - what's the difference between your thompsonii clones? I really like it because it is a steady grower and doesn't have high demands. I grow it in my sunroom where it gets bright indirect light. It puts on regular growth (as opposed to some that are spurt-growers, or those that stop the minute it isn't hot and humid...) But I've only seen the one clone. Where did you get the two you own?

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:11PM
cpawl(8)

Denise The clone I have seems to look like yours.And I got it from apodagis.It grows well for me also.I grow it S/H.My second clone has smaller leaves and no sliver specks at all.It is not a fast grower and I can not remember where I got it from.But I think I got it from aleya.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™