Harmed by running out of feeder nector

riopeteAugust 20, 2010

Hi,

We live in the foothills not far from Tahoe and over the past few years we have had more and more hummers stay around our house and so we continue to add more feeders for the new ones. Now we have 7 feeders and 25 or more hummingbirds, which crowd each other when they're feeding. There are times when the 4 holes in all 7 feeders are taken at the same time! They typically drink everything in 2-3 days. My question is that I'm leaving for a long vacation and the feeders will by dry for 30 days or so. Will my birds be harmed when the feeders are suddenly empty. Should I slowly wean them off by using less and less sugar until I leave?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tima9209

I'd take the feeders down. They have other food sources.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 11:18AM
ctnchpr

I'd start by removing the feeders for an hour or so during midday, then gradually extend that period until they're up only very early and late, and then take away the evening feeding; the morning feeding is the most important, IMO.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 11:34AM
hummersteve

Do you not have any family or friends who might drop over and change the feeders on occasion for you. Otherwise they will find food elsewhere.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 12:11PM
jimmyjack_2010(6)

Please DO NOT reduce the nectar in the feeder. This can lead to starvation due to the lack of sufficient amounts of sucrose which in what the nectar is and is found in flowers. If they run empty the birds are not stupid and will go to other food sources.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 11:48PM
dmcrober

Take the some feeders down over a few days .... do NOT use less sugar ! Then when your down to one ... fill it less often ... They will get the message ... I'm doing the same thing right now I have 3 feeders and more than 50 hummers ! They are getting the message ! have a great vacation!

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 12:59PM
ditas

Awww I wish we could get some of your Jewels to come here ~ we'd be more that thrilled to give them board & lodging!!!

How about your neighbors or some HS kids in the neighborhood to tend to the feeders? I bet they'd be delighted to care for them!!!

Hummie feeders are a bit more complicated ~ but I used to get neighbor kids to tend to my regular wildbird feeders & they're always happy to oblige!!!

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Sponsored Products
Madeli Venasca 48" Bathroom Vanity - Glossy White
Modern Bathroom
Extra Width Thermal 95-inch Blackout Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Charles Petite Wool Sofa in Dark Gray
$699.00 | LexMod
Aptos Hourglass Table Lamp by Union Street Glass
$600.00 | Lumens
Lina Leather Folding Chair
Design Within Reach