A Magic Wand Question

greedygh0stNovember 5, 2010

This question occurred to me while I was framing the fire question and I thought I'd post it simultaneously so we didn't all get depressed.

If you could wave a magic wand and have an exact clone of a plant from another GardenWeb member's collection appear in your home (with their blessing, let's hope), which plant would you choose?

You can take more than 10 seconds to think about this one. I hope this question comes off as it was intended, as a game of sincere admiration for our fellow growers, not a game of thieves. :X

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonwolf_gw

I think it would have to be Pug's Pink Silver plant for me. I saw all those blooms and could only dream of having a plant like that bloom for me! My Pink Silver is larger than when I saw that picture, but no blooms out of my plant yet. Denise's fungii comes in at a close second (I think at one time she said one umbel had close to 70 buds!)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 11:39AM
greedygh0st

Oooo good answers!!

I am having an impossible time narrowing this one down. So far my top candidates are:

dmichael's fungii or obovata

Denise's macrophylla green leaf

Pug's sigillatis

Haxuan's sp. flat stem or aff multiflora

mikedahm's caudata

...You'll notice that I didn't specify "Hoya" and if I thought I'd have any chance of keeping them alive, I just love Quinn's Pleurothallis ornata and Lepanthopsis astrophora 'Stalky' or Mike's Cycnoches warscewiczii or Stapelia leendertziae.

I didn't even go back and mine through old posts (except to figure out the names of the non-Hoyas I was remembering) and I'm afraid to start. I have vague memories of achingly resplendent plants from pretty much every southern grower on here.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 1:43PM
moonwolf_gw

GG, funny thing you mentioned dmichael's fungii, he sent me cuttings from it this summer. They had peduncles, but they fell off. I just repotted them (with another fungii cutting I got from someone else) into a terra cotta pot yesterday along with shepherdii, TigerDawn's grandmother's carnosa cutting she sent me and a few days ago I took cuttings off of my Red Buttons for my friend.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 1:55PM
greedygh0st

Oops! I meant dmichael's LAMBII. Funny me... I'm always mixing up those two! :) I'm craving lambii these days like it's an unscratchable itch....

I DO have a fungii. I can't remember where I got it from, though :X Let's just pretend it magically appeared in my living room, like in this question.

Oh yeah and let's not forget how I'm totally going to clone Mike's sp. Estrella waterfalls too. I don't know how that one slipped my mind.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 2:03PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Careful Brad,

Not sure I'd mix different kinds of Hoyas planted into the same pot, they can have different watering requirements from each other & that & MAY produce a problem, (MAY not also, but still).

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 5:06PM
moonwolf_gw

PG, thanks for the heads up! What I meant was I bought terra cotta pots at Wal-Mart the other day and I planted those plants into them. I bought three four and a half inch (not six-inch like I told some people) and used the tiny

I forgot to mention I repotted motoskei too. It seemed to be suffering in the plastic pot I had it in. The soil stayed moist for too long and it started dropping leaves.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 5:30PM
mdahms1979

I would run straight for the nearest Hoya platycaulis, that and Hoya sp Lata Iskandar A.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Dischidia.com photos

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 6:16PM
greedygh0st

Wow, Mike. It's like lasiantha and finlaysonii made sweet love with a rainbow and a baby kitten.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 7:27PM
mdahms1979

Yep that's grade A Hoya right there. LOL

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 9:24PM
dmichael619(8a)

Now here's one that's almost impossible for me to answer!!!! I already grow them all!!!! Not really!!!! I don't recall the names of what hoyas belonged to whom but I did see a nice sigillatis that I wouldn't mind having,Dee has a nice yellow mindorensis that I would wave the wand at!!!

I have both the A & B clones of sp. Lata Iskandar and can't wait to see either of them bloom!!! The B clone seems to be a bit on the slow side getting started but A is doing fine. Neither have shown the nice red veins yet but I haven't stressed them yet either. Next year I plan to grow those two hard as Antone said and in as much full sun as they can take!!

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 10:20PM
gennykins(4)

That wand is a waivering one and it floats from Denise's green mac to either Mike or dmichael's (can't remember who had it) or Joni's IML 1410. Love those big leaves!

Lisa

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 9:02AM
greedygh0st

Ah, David. The man who has nothing to wish for. My heart goes out to you. ;) Perhaps you can just point your wand at a remote part southeast Asia and see what you get.

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 5:19PM
dmichael619(8a)

I'd totally LOVE to have a magic wand to wave at some of those Asian collections or at Iris Marie's. Either would do for me!!!

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 7:57PM
geosdee(Zone 8 FL Panhandle)

I think the one I really, really want is the one David has of sp. Kalimantan-IML 1168. I just love those leaves, I wouldn't really care if it bloomed.

Dee

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 2:06PM
peanut01(7VA)

Someone who posts frequently has a beautiful Adenium that I love. Denise... maybe.

It would not be as beautiful for me based on the growing conditions here vs FL.

I've also seen a lot of Hoyas posted and there is too many to name that I would like.

Obscura, Lambii, Mindorensis(any variety), Sigillatis, and Caudata in particular.

-David

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
The secret to successfully growing flagellata?
Okay, so for the past couple of weeks, it has been...
aurorawa
Hoya" preatorii& "lasiantha.
Hello hoya lovers, I need some help on my recent purchase...
cara
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™