Five New Camellias Chansonette!

love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)December 15, 2011

Happiness is... five new camellias Chansonette encircling my backyard oak. I could just eat them up!

I am partial to camellias that are pink and have hidden stamen. Crazy, maybe, but I love camellias like Pink Perfection that have nothing but petals all the way to the center of the flower. (Maybe because I am not a big fan of yellow?) Chansonette couldn't be more perfect.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Carol, that IS perfection. I can finish my coffee now as I have my ornamental fix for the day. Incredible flowers.

Anna

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 7:14AM
amberroses(10a)

I was just thinking how much I like camellias. They look nice all year and give me no trouble with diseases or pests. Yours are very pretty.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 9:17AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Thanks so much! Camellias are great for so many reasons: cold hardy, evergreen (don't lose leaves in winter) and flowering. I am slowly but surely planting camellias all the way around the perimeter of the house.

Chansonette is a small, weeping variety. It makes a good low hedge, espalier or ground cover.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 9:29AM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

Very pretty. I planted a camellia this spring as an experiment but the vicious weedwacker person got it and it just died. How well do they do in southwest Florida? Is it too hot for them in the summer here? I know they like acid soil but most of ours is fill that has limestone-seashell type chunks in it so I'm guessing it's alkaline.
Marcia

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 12:02PM
amberroses(10a)

They do fine in the St. Pete area so probably they'd do well for you too. Mine get afternoon shade. I've never pruned them. They grow slowly.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 7:49PM
Randy Ritchie

Oh, what a beauty! I miss my camellias from Savannah...wahhhh. I don't think any camellias grow this far south though, sadly. But we can live vicariously through your photos at least.
Randy

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 3:25PM
saldut

I was in Lowes yesterday, and they had several types-colors camellias... a pinky-red, a white, and another I think, all were $14.95... as I recall... it said on the tag 'shade' or only morning-sun.... they also had a dark-burgundy and red shrimp plant, also some passiflora, blue and white.. and more vines than usual....I had to work hard to restrain myself!!... sally

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
crinum flowers
This started blooming just before our expected freeze....
marcia_m
id for pretty plant
Can someone ID this plant? I got it years ago from...
linda_leaf z10fla
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™