jewel box hummers and a pop quiz!

hummersteveAugust 19, 2009

The jewel box is being used more now at my pc window for multiple reasons , its the only one there, with the migration a lot hummers arent married to other feeders. Got a couple of lucky shots thru the window to have a little fun with.

question: is this a male or female or juvie? answer comes after the first photo, the overcast day clouds the issue-hehehehe

answer: this is a fully matured male, as those in the know spotted it right away. The forked tail is a dead give-a-way . The female nor the juvie have this. It is also easily seen when the adult male is perched.

same male

same male

this bird is harder to ID female or juvie, could be a young male

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

How many picked up on the hummer on the second feeder blurred in the background.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 6:32PM
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Glad to see them using your jewel box and that they don't fly away when you are at the window!

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 8:26PM
vickilovesboxers(7)

Steve
the final pic looks like a juvie male for sure--I am sure I see the tell tale thin black vertical lines on his chin.
I had an adult male using the Jewel Box yesterday. Sadly, today I have not seen any adult males!

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 9:02PM
hummersteve

During migration the hummers seem much more bold less apt to flare away when you are near a window. I found this to be true at my slider also. I had my face pressed up against it not a foot away from them and they would still feed.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™