Crazy Hummer!

hawkeye3007August 22, 2007

Okay I'm new at this, just had hummers (ruby) show up last week, bought a feeder, but the male is the only one feeding, he won't let the female feed at all, so bought a second feeder, and he still claims all for himself!!!

Will the female starve?? Not many flowers around now as been very dry and all is burnt up, can't get over how

greedy and feisty he is with the female! Wife sez "typical male" LOL....thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bdriver71(z6pa)

This is my 4th summer with hummers. Got my first posessive male this year. He sits on "his" trellis guarding "his" feeders all day long, even in pouring down rain. He's suppose to leave before the females but I have visions of him froze to the trellis. Anyway, you need to move the other feeder to the opposite side of the house, where he can't see it. He might buzz by to check it out but won't stay long cause he has to protect "his" feeder. Worked for me. Wife is right. Typical male. Guarding his turf.

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 9:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sqlguy(z7 GA)

If you put another feeder out of sight of the first, it may help, since he can't effectively guard both simultaneously. He'll do a pretty good job, but interlopes will get the occasional sip.

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Rufous Hummingbird spotted 11/13 and 11/14/14
I have a Rufous Hummingbird visiting my feeder in Northern...
AngieC46637
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™