Homemade wasp traps

minnie_txAugust 21, 2005

DS told me how to make these out of 2 litre bottles. cut the bottle a third of the way down and invert the top into the bottom. It looks like a funnel inside the bottle. Then punch hoes in the sides in which you will put wire to hang from a branch or crook. I used old pineapple juice in mine. I hope you can get the idea from the photo. Hope this helps. I think you could use the small personal sized water bottles too.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

That's a good idea if the vinegar stops working I might try it thanks. Sarah

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 8:34PM
WiValerie(z4 WI)

Great idea. You can use almost any sweet juice with a few drops of dish detergent like Dawn. VAL

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 9:20AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Very good photo Minnie, THank you for sharing that with us. I always have plenty of extra pop bottles. I may just make one or two to have them handy. I have seen other homemade ones but this way seems to be one of the easiest.

Penny

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 9:27AM
milesend(z7 SC)

This is a wonderful way to save money yet "fight back"! In early Spring, you will catch queens, and one queen is worth a thousand peasants! lol!
Try using a little bright (red?) food coloring in the water and soap mixture as: the color looks better in the yard,helps hide the dead bodies, and serves as an attractant.
In the Spring, wasps are searching for protein, in the Summer and fall? It's Sweets!
Vinegar mixed in with the water and soap will help discourage honeybees from investigating to their doom~

Clean out the dead wasps if the bodies are piling up...the newly caught wasps may use them as a bridge and a boat to a point of survival!

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 9:45AM
hummersteve

I used one these traps last year but the wasps never went down into the trap.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™