Has anyone else seen this?

hosta_house(IL 6)August 2, 2009

The Goldfinch have been drinking from the Hummzinger moat for the past couple of years now,so the #%@ sparrows think there maybe food and they are on the feeder too. I have a couple of birdbaths but I never see the Goldfinch on them, I'm afraid this may cause harm to the Hummers, any suggestions? I don't mind the Goldfinch but the Sparrows are bullys. (Pic quality not the best)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fairfieldcircle(6a)

Interesting.

I haven't had our goldfinches drinking from the HB feeders, but we are having lots of woodpeckers~~downies and red-bellieds~~using them. It was interesting to watch the baby woodpeckers using the feeders and being scared off by the hummers.

I don't know if the nectar will harm the other birds feeding or not. The Hummers don't seem to be in harms way of the woodpeckers here.

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 9:42PM
rob_a(9)

I had the same problem with finches drinking from the ant moats. They emptied all of them in a day, with a nice lake available for them fifty yards away.

If you will add a drop or two of dawn dish wash liquid to the ant moat water, they will leave it alone.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 8:37PM
seafire1(z7 NJ)

HH,

That is a very unusual capture, a Hummer and a different species bird feeding at the same time. Thats a new one on me! Looks like it could be a Tufted Titmouse?

Rob,

I'm not sure if the Dawn would harm a songbird if it was drank, do you?

Pam

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™