Cold protection for young mango trees

jofus(9b/10a Englewood, Fl)December 28, 2010

Yesterday ( Mon the 27th ) I couldn't wait to get home from work to cover my 5 young mango trees ( in ground 9 months ) with sheets tied together with clothes pins, - a laborious job after working all day. I already had the large C-9 Xmass tree bulbs strung throughout each tree, plus the trunks wrapped in pipe insulation. But the thought of 28 deg temps had me energized.

Now it appears we are in for another cold night, although only a low of 34 degrees is forcast here. Trouble is, I am pooped after removing all the sheets this morning because I have been told leaving them on during the day will actually fry the trees. True ?

Also, is there any concensus out there that by just turning on the Xmass tree lights will be enough to protect these trees, especially since the trunks are wrapped ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pawsnplants

It is not true that the sheets will fry your trees. At least mine have not suffered from leaving sheets on a couple of days. What we have done is put a 500 watt flood light under the tree. So far, so good. My neighbor has a small mango all by itself in the middle of his large yard. He never attempts to protect it at all. Last year BEFORE the freeze it was down to about three leaves. After the freeze, it began to thrive and actually produced it's first fruit ever. Go figure. Our own trees, which we did protect, also took off in the spring and produced well. It appears that mangoes can take temps down to around 28 at least here.

Bookmark   December 28, 2010 at 11:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jofus(9b/10a Englewood, Fl)

pawsnplants : I appreciate your experience. A relief for me. The next time I see a prediction of two cold nights below 34 degrees within a day or two of each other, I will just leave the sheets on the trees. I do believe that simply stringing Christmas tree lights will not be enough to save a young mango tree on those below 30 deg nights.
Hopefully the next month will be kinder, weather wise. ( smile )

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
crinum flowers
This started blooming just before our expected freeze....
marcia_m
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™