I Had a Special Treat Today!

eigdeh(z6 NJ)August 14, 2009

Okay... perhaps a normal occurance for most of you. I was walking to my most active feeder this afternoon and I saw a hummer coming to one of my other feeders. I froze and watched him drink from the feeder, then he took a sip from a bunch of flowers along the way to the feeder I was 8 feet from. He landed on that feeder and he drank for a long time. When he finished drinking he noticed me and flew right up to my face! Closest he got was about a foot! Then he backed up a foot and stayed there for a good 10 seconds and the flew around my head and returned to the front for a bit more. Then he flew away and chased another hummer.

It was so cool! Not sure if he was trying to defend the feeder or if he was just checking me out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rob_a(9)

LOL I have a RT female like that. She's been here for months and knows me well, she will fly up in front of my face to check me out. Fearless. She will even fly up to my sliding glass door and look in at me. I call her Nosey. It's a huge thrill to have a hummer come so close. Enjoy!

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 9:42PM
hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)

Today was pretty incredible. I had three hummers, at least two of which are juvies, coming to the feeder all day. For the heck of it I decided to put my face right up to the feeder. The hummers continued to come to the feeder and drink. They also hovered a few inches from my face, staring at me and checking me out. It was wild. The humming sound is loud when they are so close. Just a little bit ago I was messing with the feeder, adjusting it so I could put the rain guard on, when all three hummers came to the feeder(not at same time) as I was holding it in my hand. These little jewels are absolutely fearless and the experience was amazing.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 6:32PM
hummersteve

Hawkeye

Thats great , enough to give you a slight rush. Ive noticed more boldness myself in the hummers that are here. I put face right to the window and they look at me but just go on feeding as if I wasnt even there. Maybe some of that comes with the frenzy of migration.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 7:52PM
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Glad things are going well for you hawk!

Activity here is back to non existent! Last week there was at least one here every five or so minutes. Since Sunday I am lucky to see 2 all day. :C(

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 8:22PM
vickilovesboxers(7)

An amazing treat that I too have on occasion experienced.
I think I will go out tomorrow and see if they will let me get real close.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™