Christmas Cactus - Just love these little guys

love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)December 6, 2011

So how does your Thanksgiving/Christmas cactus look? I have a peach one in full-bloom and a red one and a pink one getting ready to bust out. I just love these simple little plants. Easy to grow. Reliable bloomers. So easy to abuse when not blooming and then throw some TLC at them around, oh, October! Easy to bring some flowers indoors when not much else is in bloom.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corar4gw(JAX9A)

-------and I have two white ones that are blooming like crazy. Had 6 - 8 different colors at one time but some bug or something wiped them out. I'm disinclined to start over again. cora

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 4:38AM
tinael01(10A)

Mine look great but no blooms. What 's the secret?

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 8:21AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I grow mine in my screened-in porch which faces due West year-round. I don't move them or make any adjustment for daylight. I just get very lucky that they bloom on-schedule each year.

Also, the screened-in porch may be the reason I haven't had any pest problems? Cora, I didn't even know Christmas cactus had any enemies until your post! I'm so sorry about yours.

Carol

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 8:27AM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

I had a big one that I had a neighbor watch for me over the Christmas holidays last year. She overwatered and it rotted :( But I knew I could start new plants from its cuttings, so I wasn't angry. The cuttings aren't growing very fast, so no flowers this year. The big box stores have lots of cute ones for sale that are flowering now.
Marcia

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 10:01AM

"...which faces due west year-round" Haha! I had to laugh at myself. Of course it faces west year-round! Did I think I rotated my house? LOL!

I meant that I keep them on the porch year-round. But I do bring them in to the kitchen table when they start to bloom. When finished, they go back to porch.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 10:26AM
dirtygardener73(9a)

Mine is in full bloom too. I need to take a pic but it's not nearly as pretty as last year, so I'm not too enthusiastic about it. The squirrels really did a number on it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 6:47PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Carried these from NY. They seem to love Florida weather.

The plant on the left is still in bud, not blooming yet. It is a peachy color

Jane

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 9:52PM
oukay

I, too, had some mystery plague wipe mine out a few years ago. They were in various areas - house, lanai, outside. The stems would start looking waterlogged (even when bone dry soil) then the leaves/stems would start falling off. One of them was 20 years old - sigh. I have started over again, but cautiously.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 7:37PM
saldut

I read where they have different bloom-times, some are 'Thanksgiving Cactus' and some are 'Christmas Cactus' !! I had abt. 9-10 of them and half look terrible now, wilted and pieces dropping off, and the other half are great.. can't figure out if too much water or not enough ! sally

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 4:57PM
shuffles_gw

There is also an Easter cactus.

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 11:55AM
meg_w

My grandmother told me that in order to bloom they needed a certain number of hours of darkness with no interuptions. She used to pull the shades at night to keep the street lights from shining in the window on her plants. Don't know if that is what made the difference but, she always had great blooms.

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 3:37PM
corar4gw(JAX9A)

Meg, your grandmother was right. Christmas cactus and Poinsettia both need prolonged darkness to start the blooming process. Cooler weather helps, too.
cora

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 6:09PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I've grown them indoors and this year outside and they don't require any light restrictions. They bloom every year at this time. I do think cooler temps start them budding. I never controlled light at all.

Living room:

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 1:19AM

A nice website on Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis:

Here is a link that might be useful: RECOGNITION and CULTURE of the HOLIDAY CACTI

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 8:24AM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

I have what I believe is a plant of the true "Christmas Cactus" variety, Schlumbergera x buckleyi, as described on the link above. I got a cutting from a hundred year old plant that was willed to the historical society in PA where I volunteer. It spent all spring, summer and fall outside under one of our small live oak trees and I think it got too much sun, or maybe it needs some fertilizer, the stems are such a light green. Its buds are just forming now, so I'll miss the blooms as we'll be back in PA for the holidays. I brought it inside yesterday because I'm afraid we'll have a frost when we're away and not here to cover it.
Marcia

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™