Hoya australis 'Oramicola'

Jan SwordNovember 28, 2009

I said it was rupicola on Mike's post but it's oramicola flowering for the first time. The flowers are much smaller then other australis but the leaves are small too, I did not detect any scent this morning.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Oh those are nice blooms, just a hint of colour behind the corona. I have always liked white flowers, especially when they have a crystalline or waxy texture.

I still have yet to smell a Hoya australis of any kind in person. My Hoya calycina has come back from the dead but being only a few inches tall with two pairs of new leaves means no flowers for me any time soon. I am in the mood for a knock your socks off powerful Hoya fragrance of my own.

Mike

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 4:46PM
Jan Sword

I just came back in from smelling those perfumy flowers!!!

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 5:32PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Those are pretty Jan, I'm just hoping that my plain Australis will bloom for me. I love the white flowers...well I like them all really,lol...

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 8:04PM
moonwolf_gw

I've never heard of this kind of australis before. It sounds and looks nice though. To me, any flower that smells good is a definite favorite of mine!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 9:16PM
denise_gw

Jan,

How do the leaves of oramicola differ from other australis? Are they also smaller? Pretty flowers, and glad to hear they are perfumey-fragrant like ssp. tenuipes. Now, if I could just get my dang ssp. australis to bloom!

Denise im Omaha

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 9:27PM
tishfromwis(z5 WI)

Gorgeous Jan!!! I select most of my hoyas because of their foliage, but I chose the Hoya Australis ssp. australis 'Brookfield' for the flowers. The new growth does have a pretty bronzy appearance. I'm going to guess they smell perfumy too? Does anyone know? Mine is growing like a weed right now and since it is a year round bloomer, I'm hoping to see some peduncles soon (& I stress "hoping")...

Tish

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 1:47AM
Jan Sword

Thanks everyone.
This is H rupicola, very succulant, the thick leaves are 2xlarger then Oramicola. I end up killing mine. ;(
I'll take the photo of oramicola, very compact growing, much smaller leaves then other australis.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRUE-SUCCULENT-HOYA-AUSTRALIS-RUPICOLA-HAYWARD-CREEK_W0QQitemZ180415001415QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a01927347&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 7:33AM
Jan Sword

The biggest leaf is 2.75"x1" umbel is 1.5" wide.

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™