Tree with edible beans

dirtygardener73(9a)December 8, 2009

Last year, someone brought me some beans from a tree. They were edible, and very tasty. I saved some, but they rotted when I tried to plant them. I'd really like to have more seeds so I can try to grow it again. I simply cannot remember the name, and the person has moved away.

Anyone have a clue? It's a tropical tree, if that helps, and there is a wild variety that grows here that has non-edible beans.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtygardener73(9a)

Never mind. Just was reading and saw the name...tamarind. Anyone have any spare seeds they'd like to share for postage?

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 11:30PM
fawnridge(10A)

Go to any Indian or Caribbean grocery store and you'll find the seeds there. Tamarindus indica - Indian Tamarind - is a very large tree (to 60') that requires full sun and a sandy soil.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 7:24AM
whgille(FL 9b)

Tamarind comes in a sour variety and a sweet one. Which one did you try?

A lot of nurseries sell the trees. Where are you located?

I was thinking about other edible bean though, that one is a big bean in the soursop family.

Silvia

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 8:16AM
eric_9b(z9b Orlando)

Species of Inga also have edible "bean" pods. Its often called Ice Cream Bean as the pods have a sweet pulp. It is also a large growing tropical tree.Inga edulis is the most common.

Eric
Orlando,FL

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 9:11AM
happy_girl(Z9 st. cloud)

Eric, I'm glad to see your name on the Garden Web again. Where have you been hiding? Our group, Osceola Master Gardeners, was at Leu Gardens this past Monday. I looked for you but only saw Bob. Visit us often, please.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 11:53AM
dirtygardener73(9a)

Thanks, everyone, but I don't have any ethnic food stores around here close by, and I don't drive. The one I tasted was sweet. I really liked them.

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 5:33PM
imagardener2(9-10)

Before you invest the number of years necessary to grow a tamarind tree and discover that you have nurtured an inferior specimen you should consider purchasing a seedling of a named variety.

The truth is that many seeds don't come true to the fruit you may have eaten (tamarind, avocado, etc) and the time investment is soooo long. Or if someone has a tree of good fruit you could beg for some cuttings which will be true since they are the same tree.

The internet makes mail-order purchases possible. I got my tamarind on ebay from a FL seller. (Too small to offer cuttings, sorry).

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 7:14PM
yacheryl

Pigeon peas grows on a tree/shrub.
Featherhoof has the bean pictured
on an earlier post.
I bought a tree at Mounts Sale in Nov,
but probably won't be keeping it.
Beans are one of my least favorite foods.........cheryl

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 5:47PM
pepperot(FL)

The sweet tamarind seeds from thailand don't germinate. Probably irradiated like they do to durians. Many have tried including me. No success story has been found. Publix sells the dried sour tamarind if you want to try your hand at growing one. I heard the sour tamarind seeds come true because you're likely to get sour tamarind in end :)

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™