Floridians for chicken:-)

alexcortez(10b)December 4, 2011

A friend posted this on Facebook and I thought some of you might want to support the petition for chicken in Fort Lauderdale (or not). Best,

http://www.change.org/petitions/fort-lauderdale-city-commission-allow-backyard-hens-2#

Here is a link that might be useful: Fort Lauderdale Chicken petition

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtygardener73(9a)

We can have backyard chickens here in Gainesville, but they don't stay in the back yard. I see them wandering around all over downtown when I walk to the library. A lot of the more southern counties don't allow them because of avian flu. It's not as bad up here, but that's the excuse they gave for no chickens in North Port. People were petitioning to change the law so you could have them if you put screening up over the pens, but I don't know how that went. Chickens would peck through any screening pretty easily, unless it was put a few inches from the pen wiring.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 7:02PM
Justine66(10B)

Thanks for posting this.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 7:38PM
alexcortez(10b)

Chicken running around town apparently is a problem too in Fort Lauderdale but perhaps like you said what we need is regulation to not allow them to escape rather than banning them all together. Chicken are banned in Miami too.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 6:53AM
saldut

Did I see where Key West has 'native chickens' that are all over town ? and accepted as part of the ambience.... nothing wrong w/chickens as long as they are confined in a yard, it's the rooster that gets people going ! sally

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™