Kiwano with...?

jp07January 28, 2009

Is kiwano capable of hybridizing with say, cucumbers or honeydew melons? I have some kiwanos flowering, but no similar plants are available so I am just curious for future reference--I would be interested to see what a hybrid of that looked like. I am a novice gardener--do plants have to be within the same genus or family to be capable of hybridizing? I would assume most plants in the same genus would be capable, but say I wanted to cross a Kiwano with say a pumpkin. So that would be plants from cucumis and cucurbita genuses. Would that work? Will the fruit that has received pollen from a different parent plant display characteristics of both parents, or will I have to wait for seeds from that fruit to be grown to maturity?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

cantaloupes and cukes can crossbreed It is rare however the "guta" Armenian cuke actually a melon . pumpkins can only crossbreed with :gourds ,squash , other pumpkins .
The Big Max is a "squashkin" . You can try all cantaloupes , gherkins, cukes , but there are no guarentees . I do not believe the horned melon has been crossed with anything yet.
You could be the first . Maybe a loofa would cross with pumkins or kiwanoes.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Oak Hybrid Questions
I live in Memphis, TN. I have 2 questions. 1st - Is...
DeltaTropicsGuy
Muscadine seeds
I have 6lbs of muscadine seeds.(dark purple)I would...
kristina_1979
goose plums; paw paw
I just read that goose plums were a natural cross between...
norman2012
Why are so many apple crosses mediocre?
I am recently learning about plant breeding. I now...
Scott F Smith
Please explain about F1 hybrids
Can someone please explain, in plain, simple, elementary...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™