crossing morning glories is easy?

niwahito(z5 IL)January 10, 2005

.Last year, I put morning glories (2 types, a brilliant pink and a royal blue) around my house. They grew AMAZINGLY. I have a few questions. The HUNDREDS of seeds I collected from them will be (primarily) crosses, I assume. When two colors of MG cross, are the results generally stripes/polka dots/plaids with each color, or will they just "blend" or "alternate" colors (typically)? THIS year, I've scoured the internet and local providers and have collected about fifty (FIFTY!) different colors/types/varieties of MG, that I plan to put on every "climbable" space, mixed together. Has anyone else ever done this? What were the results? I'm assuming that, were I to do it for a few years they'd tend to revert to the pale blue, which is "native" (in much the same way that "fancy pigeons", crossed and recrossed, revert to grey with barred wings, and goldfish revert to less-colorful carp). If anyone has, e-mail me, and/or tell me about unusual varieties I might've missed!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistercross(z6b Ozarks)

I see you already got a response to your question in the other thread in this forum, and in the Vines Forum.

Here is a technical article at PubMedCentral that says in the section, "Genetics of Flower Color Variants" that "At least 21 floral phenotypes are determined by five genetic loci". One gene selects color, another affects intensity of the color, another influences pattern, and so on.

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 6:04AM
More Discussions
Muscadine seeds
I have 6lbs of muscadine seeds.(dark purple)I would...
kristina_1979
tumble weed crossbreeds?
Has anyone crossed the tumble weed with anything ?...
farmfreedom
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
Why are so many apple crosses mediocre?
I am recently learning about plant breeding. I now...
Scott F Smith
Beginner Needs Tips :)
I've recently started getting into the idea of hybridizing I'm...
Squishy666
Sponsored Products
Bull Horn Cross Wall D├ęcor
$39.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Charing Cross Rug
Serena & Lily
Holly 2 Piece Queen Bedroom Set in Espresso Dark Brown
$421.00 | LexMod
Red Cedar 32" Wide 8' Cross Legged Picnic Table with (4) 4' Backed Benches
Fifthroom.com
Orangea Outdoor Area Rug
$45.00 | FRONTGATE