What planting mix/soil for spin out bags?

patricia62May 5, 2013

Like many here I have a root problem due to fir and maple trees. I have ordered spin out bags to save a good portion of hostas that have been struggling over the past years. I have had great success with pots, thanks to this forum's wisdom, but what mix do I fill these bags with? Should I treat them as a potted hosta or in ground plants? I have done a search and the answer to that question doesn't come up or I missed it. Thanks in advance.

Pat

P.S. I have been a lurker for years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

Where did you get the spin out bags? I've never heard of them, and can't find a link to them. Bing search is coming up just about empty on this one! Could you please post a link?

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 7:22PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I used half compost and half soil. My soil is sandy loam. If it was clay I might mix in some bark fines. You want it to drain well but it's not a hard walled container so you need to use some dirt.

The link for bags is below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Rose Distributing

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 7:34PM
patricia62

Many thanks for the fast reply Steve. I do have a lot of clay so I will add the fines.

eahamel, I bought 5 gal bags (great price) from Wild Rose, but I was able to find 7gal bags, a middle size not available from above, at Horticultural Specialties( no link,sorry, but an easy google). I also bought their 10 gal bags as well, the price was about the same as Wild Rose. I figured I could try different sizes and see what happens over the next few seasons The price /shipping is not cheap but if this works I will be soooo happy. Here I come Sebright Gardens!!!!

Pat

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 7:55PM
MadPlanter1 zone 5

Good luck! I ordered the bags but haven't used them yet. May we both win the battle of the tree roots.

Glad you asked about the mix. I'm planning to use the compost/soil mix with a bit of composted manure to get it nice and rich. The soil in the hosta bed is nice and black, but I'm afraid all the tree roots have sucked the nutrients out.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
When To Re-pot?
When is the correct time to up-pot a hosta? Is it when...
santamiller
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™