Outbreeders and Inbreeders

sandyofcharlotteJanuary 12, 2014

hey!

First time poster here :>

I just want to clarify something - an inbreeder must self pollinate (pollinates itself based on other flowers on the same plant) but an outbreeder requires either a different plant of the same variety or a different variety or in some cases a different species?

Do inbreeders not use pollen from other plants of the same variety as well?

I understand that tomatoes are a natural inbreeder and corn is an natural outbreeder.

Is my thinking correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

Hi Sandy,

"...an inbreeder must self pollinate (pollinates itself based on other flowers on the same plant)..."

It's not so much that the inbreeder must self pollinate, it is just that the design of the inbreeder's flower causes its own pollen to touch the stigma of the flower before any pollen from another flower, even one on the same plant, gets a chance. The process of fertilization of an egg cell by pollination is pretty much a case of "first come, first served".

"Do inbreeders not use pollen from other plants of the same variety as well?"

In many cases, inbreeders could use pollen from other plants of the same variety, but the structure of their flowers is such that their own pollen gets the first chance, which means that the arrival of other pollen is too late.

"I understand that tomatoes are a natural inbreeder and corn is an natural outbreeder. Is my thinking correct? "

Yes.

ZM

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 3:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

Yes tomatoes and beans tend to be inbreeders but my 7 breeds of tomatoes all cross-bred with my neighbors purebreds thanks to insects.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?
Hi, I really love the beautiful flowers of all types...
greenfrog
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Tomatillo hybrids?
I grow tomatillos, usually from the abundant volunteers...
jimster
Cross Pollinating Sunflowers?
If I place two sunflowers that are different species...
Silva-Moon
Muscadine seeds
I have 6lbs of muscadine seeds.(dark purple)I would...
kristina_1979
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™