If you are potting a hosta temporarily...

bettylu_zone6aMay 31, 2012

I have about six bare root hosta babies that I am not ready to put into the hosta bed just yet, so I potted them up in a little bigger than 1 quart containers. I expect to plant within a month, but I need to rearrange the existing hosta and start purging the duplicates and the common ones to make room for these and others that have been in my holding area waiting to get a little more size. (I fault the enablers on this forum that keep posting more and more beautiful hosta pictures!)

The question is, does it really matter if you use soil instead of media for short term? (I don't grow my hosta in pots usually)

When I temporarily potted my new purchases last year I used my own soil with some nice amendments (vermicompost, cow manure compost, and leaf compost added) and the babies thrived just fine - and I didn't get them in the ground until late summer, but this year I did not have any compost ready and so I used Miracle Grow Garden soil instead.

They have been potted about a week now - do you think they are OK for another couple of weeks? Should I shake most of this soil off when I plant them and mix it with the soil in the hosta bed?

Suggestions?

BettyLu

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I don't use soil in pots ever. It just doesn't drain well enough. Even in a few short weeks you could get root rot.

Steve

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 5:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glosgarden(7b)

If the MG garden soil is like what I buy in bags (mine is another brand...cheaper) it has a lot of bark in it and will drain fine.
I grow a lot of hostas in pots and use 1/2 bagged garden soil and 1/2 soil conditioner. They grow beautifully.
I'm thinking yours should be fine for a few weeks.
Gloria

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™