Help, Help

jacosgardenSeptember 10, 2008

We just rescued a hummingbird from a very large spider web. I am not sure how long it was in the web. It was struggling very hard. Once we got it free it wouldn't fly etc. We pulled all the webbing off his wings and I had hubby put it in a hanging basket and moved it closer to the ground. It is up high enough so that my cat won't get it (I hope). It is so little and I am worried it might have damaged it's wings. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnalovesblue

I don't know whether I'll be of any help since I've never attempted to rescue a hummer...quite often, birds are stunned or traumatized for a short time in some situations. I would think they expend alot of energy trying to free themselves and need a little rest, if no damage was sustained.

If your little hummer is still in the hanging basket, you might try putting a little homemade nectar in a small shallow cup. Gently remove the bird, and hold the cup in your hand, the hummer in the other, and see if it will feed. If there's no wing damage, etc,. hopefully it would regain it's strength, enabling it to fly on off!

Gee, I hope I've not misguided you and I sure hope the little one will be OK. Keep us posted.

Are you in MS and if so, where? I'm in Meridian.

Donna

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 10:42AM
loris(Z6 NJ)

Contact a rehabber. I've included the link below which contains a link to find a rehabber.

You might also post this on the bird watching forum. I know some rehabbers read posts there at least at times.

Here is a link that might be useful: emergency care for birds

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 12:53PM
donnalovesblue

Thanks Loris for this advice to jacosgarden...I didn't think of that. The info in the link you provided is something we all need to know!

Hope her little hummer made it!

Donna

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 1:17PM
jacosgarden

Thanks for the wonderful info. Last I saw him/her this morning it was trying to fly. I think it just needed a rest. I live in Senatobia by the way.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 5:14PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

You're very welcome jacosgarden and Donna. I'm so glad it sounds like the hummer is ok.

-- Lori

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™