Feds gave Ri 250 K to study the effects of climate

tobr24u(z6 RI)February 5, 2013

change on the citizenry. I could have told them for nuttin. Hotter summers and colder winters are driving my utility bills thru the roof, How about you? And the utility company just jacked up our rates by about 9%. It is an outrage I'm telling you, a freakin' outrage...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47(7A)

Will you be under water as the sea level rises?

Are there any hills in RI?

Got any hip waders?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 8:07AM
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

Cheap energy is nearing its end. There will be jobs in insulation retrofits in a few years, though.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:41AM
Factotem

WxDano wrote,

Cheap energy is nearing its end. There will be jobs in insulation retrofits in a few years, though.

I was interested to learn about the "passivhaus" concept; I wonder if there will be growth in that homebuilding technique in the US. These homes require as little as 1/20th the energy to heat and cool.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 10:44AM
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

"passivhaus" concept; I wonder if there will be growth in that homebuilding technique in the US

I'm writing an article with a collaborator who lives in one, her spouse is a leading proponent of passivhaus. Personally I think they are a nice niche but require a lot of input.

I have friends who have a nearly off-grid house, but for a couple months in winter when there are too many clouds for passive heating.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 11:18AM
Factotem

WxDano wrote,

Personally I think they are a nice niche but require a lot of input.

I'm not sure what you mean -- clarify?

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 11:20AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I they are nice to a certain extent, otherwise require a lot of input maybe they should be called passiveaggressivehaus.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:56PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

LOL! bboy

Dano, the passivhaus concept is remarkable and would go a long way in making us energy-efficient, if not sufficient.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:28PM
david52_gw

There are several houses around here with the glass walls on the correct SWW orientation, made with adobe brick so the walls are 2-3' thick, and using modern ceiling insulation with solar power/water panels on top, that come pretty close - wood fire for the few weeks on cloudy winter days where they need supplemental heat.

Mixing the old and new....

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:44PM
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

I'm not sure what you mean -- clarify?

Open curtains, close curtains, move area rug, shift furniture, crack door, close door, cushions off window seat, trim trees, design carefully so no trees obstructing, purchase large lot, design carefully...

I went up to Montana to work on strawbale project to learn techniques, but not a fanatic about the whole thing. They are cool, just not for everybody. One day the techniques will of necessity be incorporated into more structures, though. The modern forms in, say, Net Zero homes in Germany, have some new bugs to iron out.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 3:36PM
jmc01

250k? That study should be wrapping up pretty quickly, I'd say.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:21PM
fouquieria(10b)

Feds gave Ri 250 K to study the effects of climate

But better not give anybody anything to study the effects of firearms on the population or the NRA will be all over your case. Second Amendment doncha know.

-Ron-

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
WTF?? Where is the seed exchange???
Is it gone because it's free?
sammymocha
Alabama again Ho Hum
"The Alabama supreme court has ordered the state’s...
labrea_gw
Pigs Fly . . . Or Try to Fly
California newspapers are proudly announcing that the...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Boris Nemtsov Assasinated
Shot a few days before he was to lead a peace March!...
labrea_gw
Duck Dynasty and Free Speech Award
CPAC is a clown show.I was watching TV today and while...
Pidge
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™