Decreased Activity but still in the 80's here?

rjingaSeptember 17, 2007

what can be the reason for that does anyone know? I have only seen a few birds here and there...and some that are not regulars...saw one just the other day, was so fat it looked like a regular small bird, upon closer examination, it was a hummer...must have been slurping on Hummersteves feeders or one of those home made jobbies up north.. before coming to me...HA!!

I even made my nectar a 3:1 ratio to give them some incentive, but it's quiet out there. I hope they will stay longer...this is really my first year of feeding them regularly so what can I expect in general? anyone know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

rjinga--- Hi! With the migration in full gear activity can be varied, one day can be just a few then the next day a slew. IF I were you I wouldnt worry Im still having a good amount here daily and I know those are filtering south and after ctnchpr gets done with them you should get some of those.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 11:50AM
rjinga

HummerSteve...that's EXACTLY who I was thinking of when mentioning the homemade jobbie that must be fattening these guys/gals up!!!

I only dream of having so many hummers at once!!! 3 is the max I've seen and that was only on 2 separate occasions, not by a long shot the norm, it's usually one or two fighting for a spot with ONE dominating each of the two feeders...I have 3 feeders up...one each on opposite sides of the back side of the house, and one out front in a crepe myrtle tree, the front seems to be frequented by the more slow paced, calm hummers, and the ones out back are for the competitive spirited "speedsters" it's quite a show to watch....

I'm tempted to put up a few others out back (this is where I can view them more easily) any reason to think this could help bring more of them around?

I also have a feeder out back that HAS to be filled up 100% of the way or it leaks, very annoying to me, and a waste of nectar, because that particular feeder, although it gets a good amount of traffic, still does not get drained like the other one outback....

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 12:19PM
hummersteve

rjinga-- Yes its a very good idea, last year I only had 4 feeders out and I had no hummers in sept. There are many heading south during migration and if you dont have enough feeder and/or hummer friendly plants they will go to an area that does have it.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™