humming birds

mary_grether(7/8)September 25, 2008

I would like to know a few things about those lovely little creatures, when do we stop putting the nector out?

then when do we put it back out. Is there any special way to attract them? I just got about 4 this year, will they come back? will more come, or follow them?

I just want them to keep coming back!

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenjean7bga

Hi Mary, Where do you live? I live in NW GA zone 7b. I keep a feeder out year round. I replied this on another post: 2 years ago I had a friend that had a Black Chin show up in Nov and an Allen's in Jan. Both stayed for 2 more weeks in Jan. My friend only lives a few miles from me. I didn't see these hummer's last year, yet will hope I will experience them this year.

There is a website that tells you what hummers have been spoted in your state. I don't have it at my fingertips at this moment. Should you be interested in it, post here and I will post it back.

Happy Hummers!

Jean

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 8:32PM
ctnchpr

Mary, Here is the Hummingbird migration map...

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Map

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 10:30AM
sloride66

Mary

Like Jean, I too live in Georgia. It's good idea to leave a feeder out during the winter in our area. I saw a male Rufous yesterday at our local Lowe's in the outside garden center, of course. The Lowe's is just a mile up the road and I hope he finds its way to my feeders:)There was a gentlemen there, I'd guess to be in his 80's, that said it was the first "brown hummingbird" he'd ever seen.They seem to be more common in our area the past few years. Hopefully he'll stick around for the winter.

Happy birding!
John

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™