Will Shade Cloth Help?

doby(z5CO)February 9, 2005

Hi All,

I have been backyard hybridizing daylilies for about 3 years now and am becoming more and more frustrated with lack of success, be it no pods, aborted pods or very few seeds. I am wondering if putting shade cloth over my breeding stock during the summer months would help (I garden in long raised beds). Has anyone ever done this before? What percentage was the shade cloth? Did you find it affected the bloom or growth? And lastly, did it even help? LOL. I live at an altitude of nearly 5,000 feet so in the summer, the sun is hot, hot, HOT!!!

Thanks,

Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twopoots(z5CO)

I hybridize daylilies in Colorado also, what are you trying tets. or dips. the tets are much harder. It's not so much the sun but the temps. that affect the pod set. I pollinate early in the morning after the pollen is ready. Even at best, the success rate is only about 40% for tets. But I do find I get a little better seed set on the ones that get afternoon shade. I would try the shade cloth it can't hurt.

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 8:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doby(z5CO)

twopoots,
I predominately do tets.. I start the morning early with taking pictures while the pollen is drying. Then I switch over to pollinating, which can take me all the way up to 10 a.m. as I have over 1,000 seedlings that I can pick and chose from. Of course much of the problem may have been that everything had been dug up and moved last spring. I posted this question on several forums and what came back was, anyone that is using shade cloth improved their seed production considerably. Guess one will go up here about the middle of June. LOL
Thanks for your response,
Deb

Bookmark   February 15, 2005 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Turnip breeding results .
I have been trying to cross purple top x Shogun . I...
jerry63
Zucchini x Yellow Crookneck?
I have scoured the Internet & this website for...
lostnation
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?
Hi, I really love the beautiful flowers of all types...
greenfrog
Anyone breeding blackberries for zone 4
Tired of zone 5 blackberries that can not handle zone...
jerry63
Pink Turk's Cap 'Pam Puryear'
Thanks in advance for any helpful answers to my question....
GAV65
Sponsored Products
Zick-Zick Mini Chopper
$11.99 | zulily
Fatboy First Block Avenue Ottoman - FBL-BLK
$249.00 | Hayneedle
Casablanca 3-Light ORB Ceiling Fan Intergrated Hurrican Style Glass Fixture KG87
Home Depot
Dedica Espresso Machine
$299.95 | FRONTGATE
Loft Walnut Mini Pendant by Fredrick Ramond
$499.00 | Lumens
Le Klint 171 Pendant by Le Klint
$422.40 | Lumens
HGTV HOME Energy Angular Nickel Table Lamp Multicolor - HGTV349
$270.00 | Hayneedle
Lamps: Gatekeeper 1-Light 58 in. Lamp 32100ORB
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: