Flower nectar

jay733September 26, 2009

How does flower nectar get produced in a flower? Does it constantly have nectar or does it run out for a couple of days or how does it work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mimidi(z8)

Jay I don't really know but I think it depends on the type of flower. The flowers that stay on the stem for several days replenish nectar. Some flowers drop of each day.

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 11:09PM
hummersteve

Jay--- This is a rather complex subject which I have often wondered as Im sure many others have. What mimidi says is also true. Some plants produce much more than others concerning nectar or sugary substance , which after reading the article Im going to attach I find there is much more to nectar than just sugar. Also there is the "photosythesis" the process of turning light energy into chemical energy for the plants needs and the plant does this at night after the storing process. I also get from this article that some plants will produce nectar as needed. In other words the more a plant is used the more nectar it will produce. Im nothing even close to a botanist so read the article , it may help. I only know I see hummers using the same plants over and over. I also have read [dont know if this is true] that a hummer will first check the consistancy of a flowers nectar and if it is not yet up to proper sugar level that it will not take it , but will come back later and get it.

Here is a link that might be useful: about nectar

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 11:40AM
mimidi(z8)

Steve thank you for you post and your site about nectar.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 2:45PM
crazee4flowers(z5 MI)

Thank you Jay for asking the question and thank you Steve for the info. I too have wondered the same particularly this week. I'm in zone 5, Milford, Mich. We have 1 female hummer left. She is ignoring my feeders but feeding constantly a the black and blues and lady in red salvias. I questioned whether she was getting enough nectar from them rather than hitting on the feeders. This week will dip and I anticipate a frost, I hope she can sense the weather coming and will leave in enough time, although I sadden when they're gone. Thank you again.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 6:06PM
hummersteve

Im sure some of these cooler nights will push the hummers farther south. Last nights low here was 45 and after looking at the longrange not seeing any temps going below 40, but I live in a rural low lying area and anything could happen here. But as of today I have seen hummers on my feeder.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Sponsored Products
Woodbury Root Wood Urn - Medium
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Hazel Brown Nylon 3
Home Depot
Hampton Outdoor Coffee Table in Off-White Finish, Patio Furniture
$495.00 | FRONTGATE
Fairfield Window Box or Freestanding Planter
Signature Hardware
Large Flower Market Hostess Tray
$198.00 | Horchow