Animal & Fish hybrids

farmfreedomMarch 24, 2010

We need a forum for Animal and Fish hybrids . Insect hybrids are a bit dangerous so we should exclude them . As homesteading is a forum we could all benefit from better livestock , companion animals, aquaculture, as well as plants . This is a small forum where discussions in creative genetics are most likely to take place . There are not a lot of postings lately. Please keep it serious and refrain from hateful comments . Thank You!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_monk(7B)

Don't know if this goes along with the topic, but I've often thought about crossing cattle until a much smaller breed could be achieved. (think sheep size. 200lbs top weight) So that smaller farms could enjoy beef and the cow milk without having to support a 1000lb animal.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 2:15AM
farmfreedom

You may have something there . There are dwarf breeds of cattle I do not know how small they are. A goat is considered "a poor mans cow" . There are breeds of goats and sheep that give milk . Good Luck anyhow because they still do not taste like beef.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 10:56AM
the_monk(7B)

I've seen "mini cows" and they top out at about 500lbs. Yet for my "thinking" that would still be too big. I actually love goat meat. Growing up I barely knew pork BBQ it was always goat.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 11:59AM
farmfreedom

You may be better off with goats if you want something that small.The largest goat is the markhor 71 to 240 lb).
But there was a guy in the 1960's who developed mini horses, donkeys and later mules . So you still could succeed .

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Freezing pollen
So, does anyone do this? Has anyone tried this? Would...
tete_a_tete
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Please explain about F1 hybrids
Can someone please explain, in plain, simple, elementary...
tete_a_tete
Daffodils from seed
Hi everybody! It's time to start thinking about pollinating...
daffodilhunter
Tomatillo hybrids?
I grow tomatillos, usually from the abundant volunteers...
jimster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™