Hybridizing Peanuts

theodosiaunderwoodMarch 9, 2012

I have an heirloom black peanut that I've been raising for a couple of years. It is tasty, and quite unusual. However, it is very small (a smaller Spanish type). I recently purchased seed for a very large Valencia type. My goal is to cross the two, and over a period of years stabilize a black peanut with larger size.

Does anyone have suggestions as to hybridizing peanuts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

You may want to try the" mammoth" strain of peanuts they are the largest I have seen . get Carol Depp,s book and check the legume ( peas, beans, peanut section ) for breeding instructions.
GOOD LUCK .

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 3:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keking(z6 TN)

It is a mistake to assume that a flower that is capable of self-pollination will always be self-pollinated. Sweetpeas can self-pollinate, but also cross.

The article linked below reports that peanut yield is increased when bees are around to help with pollination.

I would guess that Darwin's method of pollinating legumes could help:

"These trials on the Lupines, and others formerly on Sweet Peas, led me to try the following plan. I rolled up thin paper into a cylinder, rather thinner than a knitting needle. I then tied a thread tight round, and cut off the cylinder beneath the thread, so that a little pipe closed at one end or cap, about the fifth of an inch, was left. This was easily filled with pollen from the keel-petal of any desired variety, and could then be placed on the pistil and secured below the stigma by being tied with a thread. I then castrated four flower-buds of the Sweet Pea, and placed on the young stigma caps filled with pollen from another variety, and four fine pods were soon formed."

http://www.bulbnrose.org/Heredity/Darwin/DarwinPapilionaceous1866.html

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect-assisted pollination of peanuts

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 6:49AM
More Discussions
Why are so many apple crosses mediocre?
I am recently learning about plant breeding. I now...
Scott F Smith
hybridizing euphorbias
Hello All, Does anyone have experience hybridizing...
t_tyler
Please explain about F1 hybrids
Can someone please explain, in plain, simple, elementary...
tete_a_tete
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the beautifully colored pole...
theodosiaunderwood
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™