When will you take your feeders down?

nanaboo(z8BRLA)September 28, 2010

I usually take my feeders down in October,but our local newspaper had a front page nice picture of Ruby-throated hummingbirds buzzing around a feeder,and information about a local group tagging hummingbirds. Mr. Patton, from Louisiana, is licensed by the Departmenht of the Interior, to band hummingbirds. He reported that Rufous and 10 other species arrive in Louisiana in November. So, yea, I plan on keeping my hummers fresh with nectar thru November. I would love to see another species. I have only observed Ruby Throats. It would such a thrill to have visitors thru November!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

In previous years I have kept my feeder/feeders up till thanksgiving but have never seen a late migrant. But I will keep at least one feeder till Nov.

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 11:26AM
hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)

Mine will stay up until at least Halloween. You never know when you might get a very late straggler or even a lucky visit from a western hummer.

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 2:56PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Over here on the Texas Gulf Coast, I usually take mine down around mid-November because I always have my hummer plants for them to use. However, if we get some really bad weather, I'll kep them up longer. When it snowed Christmas 2004 (first recorded snow ever in Rockport on Christmas), I had 4 hummers that stayed. Two BB, one male Rufus and one female RT, so I kept the feeders up the rest of the winter because the snow killed the hummer plants that they usually use.

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 8:10PM
hummersteve

Linda

Pretty much the same here. I have lots of flowers but if we get too many frosts I may be tempted to keep one feeder up longer than anticipated.

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 8:38PM
bdriver71(z6pa)

I always leave 1 feeder up till it starts freezing. Usually around Thanksgiving here. Saw 4 hummers here today and I wasn't home much. This is the latest in 6 years I have seen them. Keep those feeders up. More are on the way!

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 9:49PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

So, yea, I plan on keeping my hummers fresh with nectar thru November. I would love to see another species. I have only observed Ruby Throats. It would such a thrill to have visitors thru November!

Nana, I think I mentioned earlier this year that here in Baton Rouge you can leave your feeders up year round. I live near LSU and we've been hosting winter hummers for the past 10 years. The winter birds are arriving now. I saw the first adult male Rufous at one of the feeders the other day. They stick around until February ... about the same time the Ruby-throateds return.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 12:01PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Nana, these pics were taken in my yard last winter. Most are Rufous, but the snow pic is a Buff-bellied. You have to sort of squint to see it, but he's there. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: winter hummers in Baton Rouge

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 12:07PM
tracey_nj6(6)

I generally keep them up until late November as well, just in case a late migrator buzzes by. I've never seen one past mid-September though, which doesn't mean much ;)

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 2:06PM
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

Natal, what is that white band on that Best 1 feeder, right where the bottle meets the base?

Amazing that the hummer is there in the snow!

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 2:21PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

That's a piece of PVC pipe to prevent bees from gathering at the bottle opening.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 7:03PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

It's very unusual for us to get snow down here.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 7:04PM
nanaboo(z8BRLA)

Natal,

Thank you for the winter pictures of your hummers, very nice. I am keeping my feeders fresh, hoping to see more travelers. 2 ruby-throats feeding today.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 1:13AM
hummersteve

Natal

Is the 4th pic of 5 a buff-bellied with the blue cap and pointed tail?

The only bird I have ever seen is the rubythroat.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 9:53AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Steve, the bird in the 4th pic is a Rufous. He's sporting a blue paint dot on his crown, which means he was recently banded somewhere nearby.

These pics of an adult Buff-bellied are from a January '05 banding session in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buff-bellied

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 12:59PM
salliestarr

Here in southwest VA a hummingbird has been feeding today, Sept 30th. Yesterday was active too. I am excited since there hadn't been any sightings for days. I wonder what the latest sighting for a hummer is for southwest VA....anyone know? Thanks....Sallie

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™