How old is my hoya curtisii?

clarissa_maeNovember 14, 2010

1) How old is my hoya? I purchased it last weekend.

2) Some of my plants have leaves like these: If you can't see it, they are lighter green than the rest of the plant and blend in with the silver spots, and a dark purple-ish ridge running down the center. They are withered and wrinkly.

And the backs are turned in:

Thanks,

Clarissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Generally Hoyas that are propagated at nurseries and sold in pots this size are a bunch of rooted cuttings vs a mature established plant. I find this species to be slow growing and I only have a small plant that I started from a single cutting. In time the cuttings will branch and form a thick hanging plant.
Try to let this one dry a little before you water it again, being constantly wet will cause the leaves to drop. Having said that too dry of conditions will do the same thing but with a pot that big I would be more worried about rotting the roots.

Mike

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 1:46PM
clarissa_mae

Thanks! I will check out the roots.. is there any certain way I should do this? Also, should I s eperate them or leave them together... I thought(!) I had done my research...

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 8:44PM
mdahms1979

No need to check the roots or split up the plant, just be aware that the yellowing leaves can be due to too much moisture. Often big pots full of cuttings hold too much moisture because there is not enough root mass to take in all the water. Feel free to keep us updated on your plant and we will be able to help you if there are any problems. I think your plant looks nice and healthy so you are off to a good start.

Mike

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 10:56PM
cpawl(8)

Hi
I find that the big box stores over water their plants.EA plants stay wet for a long time.When I buy EA plants the first thing I do when I get home is wick the moisture out.Take some paper towel or new paper and shove it into the bottom of the pot.

I keep changing the paper until I see no more than a inch of the top bit of the paper is wet.I also never put the bottom saucer back on.This helps it dry a bit faster.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 12:21AM
clarissa_mae

Okay, thanks! I'll try to help it lose the water (if I have time! Otherwise it will be on my weekend list...) I'm anxiously waiting for the reappearance of the sun and hope my hoya and orchid will stay happy.
Clarissa

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 4:25PM
clarissa_mae

I took off the saucer bottom:

and that is what I found...the dark things that look like wormies are roots. I was to afraid I might damage something if I used the paper towel method, so right now the saucer is back on. The plant is over carpet, so it needs (my carpet) protection from water and dirt...

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 5:24PM
cpawl(8)

Hi
I would not worry to much about those roots.If you want shove them back up into the pot.I use a chop stick, wrap the paper onto the tip and push it up a bit.It dose not need to go very fare up.Just enough so it dose not fall out.It will then wick the extra water out.

Cindy

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™