Plants to accompany hydrangeas in raised bed?

oswiff(NY LI z7a)January 20, 2013

Hello,
Started my hydrangeas Fall 2011. Looking to add something this season and looking for ideas.
Thinking about alliums in the back. Has anyone done this with pics to share?
Any thoughts for low options for in front? Ideally something white and low maintenance. Was thinking about vincas. Something that blooms earlier than the hydrangeas would be a plus.
Pic is in July.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oswiff(NY LI z7a)

here's the pic.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 1:47AM
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

Vinca can become invasive and you may regret using it in this bed. I have planted some, which is now invading a bed, and am dreading removing it next spring.

A better option, that will give you white flowers in spring, might be Lamium maculatum 'White Nancy'. When not in bloom it is interesting leaves brighten up the area. Lamium maculatum 'White Nancy' should fit in well with your hydrangea's water and light conditions.

From looking at your pic, I think the bed will fill in nicely with your hydrangea. There may not be much room for plants behind, close to the house. Perhaps give the hydrangea another year or two to see how large they get before investing time and money on plants at the rear?

Very pretty setting, btw!

Deb

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 11:24AM
oswiff(NY LI z7a)

Hi Deb, thanks for the tip. Very pretty plant. I will look into it.
You're right there's probably not that much room behind for ay shrub or otherwise larger plants, I was thinking alliums to give interest earlier in the season and the hydrangea leaves should green up and hide the dying allium foliage. A better description would be next to/between than behind.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™