mutants

unorthodox(10 FL)April 8, 2004

I heard when cross breeding there is a rare chance of getting a "mutant" wich is a uniquely colored plant that has no pollen or seeds. Is this true?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Walter_Pickett(5-6 KS)

That is a very limited use of the word mutant. But yes, you can get that.
Hybrids with no pollen or seeds are common, when crossing species. Hybrids with unique color are also common in hybrids, interspecific or within a species.
But true mutations are more frequent in interspecific hybrids than in either parental species. This is due in part to chromosomes not pairing just right and breaking and re-fusing, with a loss or duplication fo a part of a chromosome. There are probably other mechinisms for mutating hybrids, this is just one.

Bookmark   April 8, 2004 at 8:36PM
Chris_MI(z5 MI)

I just attended a gardening class that explained mutations. The instructor talked about the work that was done years ago in a monistary that produced a 3 to 1 ratio for genes in peas. As in, if you cross tall pea with short peas you get some short and some tall--but no medium size. hyridizing is a seperation of genes, not a mixing of them. Hard to explain--but what he said about mutants--that cosmic energy which is picked up as ticks by a giger counter--and passes through everything because it is so small, needs to hit the nuculeus of a developing seed atom-which is 18,000 for the minus of a centimeter-to change its DNA. Or some people change DNA with chemicals. So even with us hybridizing, some things are just left to chance.

Bookmark   May 1, 2004 at 6:16PM
hendy(USDA zone)
    Bookmark   May 11, 2004 at 3:18PM
malcolm197(Leicester,UK)

I have just been watching a TV programme which suggests that every human individual is a "mutant" from the norm. or average in some way or other. Surely the same is true of plants other than those created by vegetative propagation which are obviously biologically indistinguishable from their origin plant.?

Bookmark   July 7, 2004 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?
Hi, I really love the beautiful flowers of all types...
greenfrog
Anyone breeding blackberries for zone 4
Tired of zone 5 blackberries that can not handle zone...
jerry63
Oak Hybrid Questions
I live in Memphis, TN. I have 2 questions. 1st - Is...
DeltaTropicsGuy
Muscadine seeds
I have 6lbs of muscadine seeds.(dark purple)I would...
kristina_1979
Please explain about F1 hybrids
Can someone please explain, in plain, simple, elementary...
tete_a_tete
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™