Store bought pepper cross?

Taneedley(5b)April 14, 2014

I have this long term plan where I plan to save seeds from store bought fruit/ veggies such as peppers and tomatoes, plant them along with some seeds from the local green house also peppers or tomatoes, I am hoping that for example the pepper plant that came from the store bought produce will pollinate the pepper plant that came from the store bought seed, and when I harvest those peppers the seed from them will create another variety of pepper. Is this possible? I am not going for perfection, I just think that I might be able to create something after a few years that is something to be proud of.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Tomatoes tend to self-pollinate, and you won't get many crosses. Peppers are more likely to cross with others.

PROBLEM: Those you do get will tend to be "mutts" ... the traits of the purebred parents will not necessarily show up in the offspring, and you will waste garden space on them growing them out to see what happened.

If you want to hybridize vegetables, study genetics first and figure out what you want to do. Then learn to pollinate each kind of plant and keep meticulous records. Accept the necessity of culling 90-99% of your seedlings because they don't have what you were looking for.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

If there are enough of the right insects around it is hard not to crossbreed tomatoes . The red and yellow peppers seed from the store produce should germinate . Read Carol Deppe's book "Breeding Your Own vegetables" may help you . Try it anyways it may be fun . Let us know how you make out .

Bookmark   October 29, 2014 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Daffodils from seed
Hi everybody! It's time to start thinking about pollinating...
daffodilhunter
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?
Hi, I really love the beautiful flowers of all types...
greenfrog
Freezing pollen
So, does anyone do this? Has anyone tried this? Would...
tete_a_tete
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
Cross Pollinating Sunflowers?
If I place two sunflowers that are different species...
Silva-Moon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™