Most shade tolerant hydrangea

ikea_gwJanuary 23, 2009

I have a wooded backyard with tall oak and tulip trees surrounding a lawn. At the edge of the lawn I have several mophead hydrangeas that are doing great. However, I want to plant some hydrangea under the trees as part of a woodland garden. Lower limbs on the trees are trimmed so there is filtered light but I still need some shade loving hydrangea. What type might perform well in such a setting? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mycitygarden

oakleaf hydrangeas should do well, and annabelle hydrangea.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 3:21PM
gardengal48

ALL hydrangeas are shade tolerant - that's the nature of their origins.....woodland understory shrubs. Too much shade will reduce blooming on any type - filtered or dappled light is nearly ideal. Otherwise, morning sun and shade during the hottest part of the day.

Actually, oakleafs and arborescens are a couple of the most sun tolerant species, along with grandiflora. And oakleafs in much shade will not develop very good fall color.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 9:13PM
luis_pr

You are welcome to try some of the ones listed below. They are recommended especially for shade in one of my hydrangea books. However, I doubt the author meant 'shade' as in dense shade so allow s o m e light to reach the plant so you can enjoy some blooms.

Immaculata, Maculata, Marechal Foch, Mme. Travouillon, Parzifal, Quadricolor, Soeur Therese

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™