Mean Hummer has chased the rest away

vanckySeptember 16, 2009

I have three hummingbird feeders hanging in my back yard. We have sometimes more than 20 hummers feeding at same time. All perched together like a happy family. The other day they seemed to disapear. And the reason is a dominate male has decided that all of the feeders belong to him. He stands guard and will not let any others feed. This has gone on for the last four days. My question is how do I get rid of him. I am trying something today. I am taking all the feeders away for two or three days to see if he will leave. Anyone have any comments?

Bill Miller

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
voodoobrew

Yes, take all the junk food feeders away, and plant flowers, their natural food. :)

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 3:16PM
vickilovesboxers(7)

Bill
I have found in a case like that to put up several feeders all over the yard out of view of each other. I keep at least 7 feeders up on my acre plus--and in as many different places as I can find. That has really helped here. I hate to take away feeders at this time here in DE, as migration is on and they really relish the extra help.

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 7:09AM
scdeb424

Try adding extra sugar to the mixture in one of the feeders--the one the "mean" hummer seems to prefer the most & see if he will just guard "his" feeder. Also moving
some of the feeders out of sight of this "special" feeder
should help.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™