Forever Hydrangea

mcraymondFebruary 21, 2009

I am new to posting, but I have really enjoyed the helpful advice I have found in the past. Last April I planted two Forever Hydrangeas on the north side of my house in upper CT. They did beautifully throughout the spring, summer & fall. I did not protect them over the winter, but had planned on covering them with cloth in the evenings starting in April this year. The reason why is because last year, I had planted them during a warm spell, but, of course since this is New England, we had a couple nights of frost a few weeks later which killed the new growth on the top of one of the plants (it did recover nicely though). My question is: should I have been protecting them all winter OR is it ok to only protect the new growth in the spring from potentially frosty nights after growth has begun? I hope this isn't too wordy!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

No, not all winter. You can protect them in late Fall or early Spring. A frost here or there should not be risky to these hardy woody plants. I would pay attention when a big dip below freezing is announced after being above freezing for many days. New growth or buds could be affected by such weather changes but the small tender leaves will be replaced.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™