Using bleach on red hummingbird feeder parts

jay733September 12, 2011

If I use a 1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water solution to soak my red glass flower petals for an hour, will it fade or change in any way its color?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eigdeh(z6 NJ)

I never had a problem with bleach and fading feeders. I do have a best-1 feeder and that faded a bit, but from the sun and not the bleach. How can I tell you ask? Only the top is fading, not the inside, nor the bottom. If it was from the bleach it would be faded the same everywhere.

What kind of feeders do you have?

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 3:21PM
hummersteve

jay 733

I have a hummzinger excel and I soak it in bleach with no fading. Hummzinger have lifetime warranties. When I bleach soak I fill a sink half full of water and add 1 cup of bleach for at least an hour. Some of the cheaper feeders saucer and bottle types will fade just in the sun so I can only imagine what bleaching will do.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 3:40PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

When my feeders need bleach I use a very weak solution similar to yours ... about 1 - 2 tablespoons per half gallon of water and soak for 15 minutes. That's all it takes. Fading has only been a problem on some feeders from the sun ... not from bleaching.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 7:17PM
jay733

These are the parasol bouquet feeders, they are made of glass with red glass flower tubes.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 1:08AM
More Discussions
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™